Monday, March 21, 2011

Austin's Best Breakfast Tacos

Every morning I was in Austin, I would wake up and try to shake off the audio overstimulation from the previous night's SXSW shows (think Mardi Gras for musically-inclined misfits) by getting myself properly caffeinated and going on a short run through the city's rolling hills. Next on the list was to try to find the best breakfast tacos within arm's reach. The entire city seems to be fueled by breakfast tacos -- and why not? They are inexpensive, filling, and available from every restaurant, food truck and roadside stand in sight.

In their simplest form, a breakfast taco is eggs (usually scrambled) in a corn or flour tortilla, and it just gets better from there. Fold in some tomatoes, onions, and tortilla chips, and you have got yourself a migas breakfast taco. The concept is so simple, but incredibly delicious. Every place has an a-la-carte breakfast taco menu where you get to decide whether have them with potato and onion, or sausage, or nopalitos...or anything you can think of, really.

Torchy's Tacos, whose slogan is "damn good tacos," was the clear winner in the fight for the best breakfast taco in my opinion. My favorite of the breakfast tacos I tried was The Dirty Sanchez (I didn't name it, I just ordered it) which starts with scrambled eggs just like all of the rest, but then Torchy's adds avocado, shredded cheese, deep fried poblano chilies, and pickled carrots. The whole thing is then topped with a sour cream based poblano sauce. It's the kind of rich, salty, smoky, comfort food that actually makes you happy it is morning.

So what would you put into your breakfast taco?

11 comments:

Nadia said...

wow. what you listed sounds good! Only thing I'd change is add MORE & MORE avocado!!

Lauren RZ said...

Queso fresco, chipotle and cilantro. Three of my favorite things in the entire world. This sounds like dinner tonight, lol!

~Lauren <3
http://tennesseemirepoix.blogspot.com

pedrojescritor said...

mmmm delicious...

Bianca said...

Although an entire weekend of indie rock sounds like my worst nightmare, I'm keen on this breakfast taco idea. Better with tofu scramble, but I'm sure Austin has that.

Evie said...

I make a b-fast taco with diced tofu, potatoes, tomatoes, and cheddar/gruyere cheese with some hot sauce...I wish I was a vegetarian who liked eggs! Jealous that you were at SXSW!

Unknown said...

that's one of my favorite tacos at Torchys...and Torchys is my favorite taco place!

Debbi said...

broccoli, garlic,capers and onions

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julia Darling said...

I love Austin and will have to try Torchy's Tacos the next time I visit. That breakfast taco sounds/looks delicious. The only thing I'd add to mine would be some chorizo.

Anonymous said...

What kind of other ideas would memphis' public wanting to see? I am a local chef fed-up with a lacking food scene esp. a mobile one. Roasted beet gyros with feta mixed greens tomatoes, red onion and some bangin' oregano! Thanks for your great blog here JFB! We met at Equestria when I was working there, do you remember? Matt Boldreghini

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Matt-

Good to hear from you! How could I forget the bangin" Eggplant parm you made. Sooo good! I think the public here in memphis is looking for something unique when it come to the food truck experience. A well crafted gyro with a twist I think would go over nicely. Don't forget about us veggies. How about a panelle sandwich on a sesame roll with fresh herbs.

-justin